Celebrate National Popcorn Day
Snackers! It's sort of like our birthday, and we must celebrate!
Almost every day of the year, we make popcorn so it's fitting that we National Popcorn Day the day with some cool facts about popcorn.
8 POPCORN FACTS
- The oldest popcorn found dates back nearly 6,000 years ago
- There are four basic types of corn: Popcorn, Dent, Flint, and Sweet
- Popcorn is different from other types of corn due to its thicker hull
- Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Missouri are the top growers of popcorn (Farmers are our heroes!)
- Kernels can pop up to three feet in the air - seriously!
- Popular types of kernels include butterfly and mushroom
- 15 billion quarts of popcorn are consumed every year
- It’s naturally gluten free
TIPS FOR MAKING POPCORN AT HOME
Just in case you don't happen to have a bag of Major's Project Pop in your cabinet, here are a handful of tips to make your at-home popping experience super easy and delicious.
Whirley Pop: If you’re looking to cook on a stovetop, head over to Amazon to order one or consider an air popper!
Hydrated Kernels: Organic kernels need to be hydrated to pop properly. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate them.
The Right Oil: Oils have different smoke points -- research to avoid burning. Opt for organic, heart-healthy or plant-based oils like an unrefined virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
Proper Ratios: Follow the recipe. For example, using too little oil can lead to chewy popcorn and burning. Trust me, the smell will linger!
Excited to make popcorn at home? Let us know what you whip up in the comments and on Instagram!